Friday 20 July 2012

friends

I was reading this article on making friends as you get older (OK so I'm not quite 30 yet, but I'm feeling grown up since we BOUGHT A HOUSE - more on that later)...

Alex (hubby of the fabulous Joanna Goddard), who wrote the article, is very realistic about friendships and how difficult it can be to keep them going. Having lived in 4 different cities in 8 years, I can attest to that.

One of my favourite people, the talented Tam, lives in another country; my best school friend lives in London (I haven't seen her in 5 years!) and most of my current friends I've known for approximately 15 minutes/since moving to the coast. My friendships are rather a mess to an outsider, and perhaps lacking, yet I find it difficult to include anyone else. We have been trying to get together with our could-be friends J and C for 5 months to no avail. Maybe I've reached friend saturation point?



Or maybe, as Alex suggests, I'm just getting old...

In my not so humble opinion, whether you see someone once every 5 days or 5 months or 5 years...the important thing is the sincerity of the friendship. If I see Kirst (the school friend) again tomorrow it will be like she never left. And Tam and I just click, no matter where we are in life or where we meet. And my new friends are so wonderful I could call them in any situation and they would be there for me. Theoretically, they don't even know me!

I am constantly amazed at how life changes over time. We are at the Get married-buy a house-maybe think about a kid Stage and it is becoming increasingly difficult to stay close to our friends who are still in the Single and Loving it Stage (and there are many). For now, I am willing to give old and new friendships a chance; and try not to be as calculating about it as Ms. Degliantoni and her "extremely efficient approach" to friendship. {if you don't know who I'm talking about, read the article!!}


Weren't they just the best kind of friends...?

No comments:

Post a Comment