Monday 15 July 2013

chick lit is cool, haven't you heard?

Hi, my name is Kate and I read chick lit*. I promise I am intelligent.

Today I went to one of my favourite spots, the second hand bookshop. There is a very friendly old dude there with a face like a Saint Bernard. I picked up these two pink and yellow and shiny beacons of escapism. 



Can everyone just get over all the bashing of soft-hearted stories about love and Louis Vuitton handbags and watching movies where impossibly put-together women meet impossibly gorgeous men on aeroplanes and then live happily ever after? Please? It's escapism. And, the Lord knows, I need me some escapism. It doesn't mean I am unintelligent. Maybe uncool, but I can live with that (Dear Cool Kids, you know Nerd is the new cool right? That's why men are wearing burgundy corduroys and girls are wearing combat boots).



I also follow Marian Keyes on twitter. She is certifiable. But I love 'er. I learnt a whole new language of eejits and oxters and Mammy's from her books. I think I'm close to being Honourable Irish from all the reading. And, although Lewis Pugh is way too hunky to qualify as chick lit, you will see his book in there. The bit about how he has to put a thermometer in his rear-end to make sure he doesn't die is QUITE hectic. 

Oh and I love biographies. But not ones of World War veterans or people who have survived pirates. Don't start thinking I'm all serious and not taking my own advice. Stephen Fry is one of my favourites. He's also certifiable. I wonder why I feel so at home among these people? Mmmm...

I guess what I'm saying is: GET READING. Anything! You will be amazed at what you learn and who you meet.

*In case you don't know, chick lit is an all-encompassing term for books (or literature, hence LIT) written by women for women (hence CHICK). Usually on the lighter side, not all doom and gloom and Angela's Ashes.

No comments:

Post a Comment