Wednesday 20 November 2013

a simple starter



I am no Nigella. More like Jamie Oliver's vegetarian postman. I am that far from him. (By the way did we all watch him as the celebrity chef in Masterchef this week, I was CRYING like a BABY. Starstruck deluxe. I would sell my own Granny to see him in the flesh. He is the only reason I cook. OK so maybe that's a bit melodramatic, but I'm a huge fan.) Where was I? Oh yes, the starter idea. 

We had a few friends over for some of Jamie's Guinness lamb shanks and the Hub tasked me with making the starter and dessert. I love making desserts so I whipped up a lemon and lime panna cotta (easy peasy, email me if you want the recipe). My inspiration for the entree' came from these cute blue bowls from Woolies. I cheated and bought hummus, good quality olives and Danish feta from the deli and toasted some pita triangles to dip in them. My piece de resistance was the roasted pepper dip. I roasted off some sweet little red and orange peppers in the oven, until I could pull off the skin easily. Then I blitzed them up with garlic, lemon juice and half a cup of white beans. Super easy to make and a complete hit with my Hub and guests. If you notice the beautiful wood table...the Hub finished it a few weeks ago. So proud of his man skills.




No comments:

Post a Comment