Thursday 7 November 2013

marriage is sacred

Once, on a long evening walk with my friend, I asked her about her own marriage. “Why are you together? What makes your love stick through all the years of change and growth?”

She took a few careful steps over a cracked sidewalk and then laughed her answer. “I’m with him because he’s my home.” Those words echoed in my heart and rang true for my own life. Yes, I’m finally home as well.

- from the true story of a 7 year marriage on Fly Softly My Love

I know what you’re thinking. What does this KID, married for less than two years, know about marriage? Well I’ll tell you. I know about my mom and dad’s 29 year marriage, my in laws 33 year marriage, my aunts and uncles marriages, my grandparents' nearly 60 year marriage and the marriages of my 3, 4, 5 and 15 years strong friends. I know that marriage is difficult, and stressful and compromising. I know it destroys boundaries and then builds walls where those boundaries once stood. I know my husband once saw a vision from God that marriage should be like a one way glass house, where you can both see out but no-one can see in. I know the top three issues causing problems in marriage: money, kids and quality time. In that order. I know marriage has been both the best thing and the most difficult thing I have done in my life so far. I know that my love language is Words of Affirmation. My husband's is Quality Time. I know my husband can be domineering, stubborn, selfish and anxious. I know I can be domineering, stubborn, selfish and anxious. I know having God in your life and your marriage holds you accountable. I know marriage is mentioned in the second chapter of the very first book of the Bible, it's that important. I know my wedding day was the best day of my life. I know he is the love of my life. I know he is kind-hearted, loving, responsible, hilarious and sexy. I know he loves me more than anyone on this planet. I know he would do anything to make me happy. I know he is my Person. I know he is my home.

I love you Nicholas, you infuriating, mad, funny, gorgeous creature.


No comments:

Post a Comment