Tuesday 18 June 2013

food adventure: vegetarian chilli

I'm a veg. Not like literally a vegetable. Duh. But I eat fish and other seafood. A vegaquarian. Actually a pescatarian.

It's part of my overall hippy aesthetic (which is at total odds with my day job and my left brain default setting from years at Boot Camp for Kids - but more about that in another post). I'm always looking for tasty veg recipes - mostly to get my hubby to eat less meat and come over to the fun side. Where all the veg hippies are. This recipe is totes amaze. It is tasty and spicy (without the need for ice cold loo roll) and nutritious. The recipe is mostly from this book.


Ingredients:
Enough oil to fry 1 finely chopped onion (I use red onions, they have a sweeter taste)
1 clove of garlic
2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander/dhania
1 tsp ground cinnamon (do NOT put more in, it's rather overpowering)
1 tsp chilli powder
1 can chopped tomatoes
375ml vege stock
2 cans chickpeas
1 can red kidney beans
1 little tin of tomato paste (2 tbsp)
1 tbsp sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Open all the tins. You will forget and the onion spice mixture will burn and you will be bleak.

2. Fry up the onion in the oil for about 5 mins
3. Add all the spices and garlic (and a bit of extra oil if it's catching) for about 1 minute
4. Add all the tinned stuff (tomatoes, beans, chickpeas) and the stock to the onion spice mixture but NOT the tomato paste
5. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 mins, stirring every now and then to mix in the spices nicely
6. Now you may add the tomato paste, sugar and salt & pepper
7. Simmer for another 5 mins
8. Chow.

Easy peasy, and even the hubby will like it! I like it with a bit of plain yoghurt, but then I'm a real baby when it comes to spicy food. The Indian aunties at work are trying to help me.



No comments:

Post a Comment