Sunday 30 June 2013

inspired by pomegranate

In line with my other hippie tendencies, I like buying produce in season*. How do you tell something is in season? Is there an app or something? No pawpaw. (See what I did there, a fruit pun...) Just look for produce that is cheap, or cheaper than usual.

Unless the government is subsidising a specific industry. In which case, it will always be cheap. Not a concern in SA, our government couldn't organise a subsidy in a brewery. So to speak.



Which brings me to the not so humble pomegranate. I first remember this fruit back in the day before widespread exporting and globalisation (and no I'm not THAT old, it wasn't that long ago) in Aladdin. This makes sense because pomegranates are thought to have originated in the Middle East and we all remember the flying carpet and camels and souks. Farmers have recently begun growing pomegranates in SA, so the ones I saw at my local Food Lovers for a steal were grown locally. Even better! We really need to support local farmers.
 
I took out the little arils (the red seeds inside that contain all the yumminess) and ate them just like that with some Greek yoghurt. And took a picture of course.

And then I was so inspired by their red juicy goodness that I made this...



Pomegranate cake recipe
shots by Jamie Oliver
print fabric
Etsy photography
dress

*The South African season for pomegranates is late Feb to July.


No comments:

Post a Comment