Tuesday 24 September 2013

happy braai day

Today is Heritage Day in South Africa, or as some marketing genius dubbed it "National Braai Day". There is even a hilarious video. Because we all know a Saffa likes nothing better than a solid sizzle of some tasty dead animal. Ah hum. The vegetarian in me cannot be silenced.


So the Hub and I had a quiet braai at home, as was expected of us, and I ate a particularly delicious braai broodtjie (like a cheese sarmie but grilled on the barbeque YUM YUM) and roasted a marshmallow or fifteen over the embers. It was lovely. Then Howard ate a frozen pea, twerking his head while he tried to get a handle on it. Miley would be proud to call him her dog.

We also negotiated the size of our new dining room table, which the very talented Hub is making using some beautiful kiaat planks. I say negotiated because that's what it was. A negotiation. I look after the design and aesthetic, he looks after the practicalities. We have to meet somewhere in the middle where the table both fits the dining room and is not hideous. There was a point where I said "Nicholas, you can have 5cm. That is even pushing it. That's my final offer." I am learning many sales manager skills from all my business trips into the wild, rural wholesalers of SA. Broadening my accountant skill base, one might say.

All in all a satisfying day where our marriage survived some tough negotiating and we ate too many carbohydrates. Tim Noakes must be shaking his head at us.

~ Image from Beyers



No comments:

Post a Comment