Wednesday 17 April 2013

travel dream: macchu pichu

One of my (many) travel dreams is to do the Inca Trail up to Macchu Picchu in Peru. If only we had endless money and time! Obviously it is really popular with tourists, so the Peruvian authorities have cut down the number of people who may be on the trail at any one time. Imagine this trail being eroded away - tragedy.

I saw this comparison of Macchu Picchu then and now on National Geographic and it amazed me. Hiram Bingham, who took the "Then" photos in 1911 and 1915, is the bemused looking fellow who claims to have rediscovered the ruins (although the Smithsonian disagree - academics seem to love a good barney over Who Discovered What). I never thought about having to keep the lawns cut etc, imagine being a mower on Macchu Picchu as a job!


While I'm dreaming of Macchu Picchu, how awesome to be photo bombed by a llama, like this. He may even pout for you...



Check out another wild place from National Geographic. I am definitely still a nerdy little kid inside :)


No comments:

Post a Comment