Monday 5 September 2011

traditions


Something old, something new
Something borrowed, something blue
And a silver sixpence in her shoe.
I thought for the next few weeks I would do a little series on the fusty old bridal traditions of something borrowed, blue, old and new. It’s the one tradition I definitely want to have, simply because it’s fun and won’t embarrass/hurt/result in anyone being covered in cake/seeing up my dress.
So, being me, I did a little research online.
It is an English tradition, dating back to Victorian times. All the more reason to have it to honour my very English Granny. And it seems to be all about luck for a long and happy life together. Perhaps I’ll gain some luck from the fusty old bridal angels, farting dust in churches everywhere.
Here are the (unconfirmed by any real, referenced library research) reasons for each custom:
Something old – this one you wear as a connection to your family and the past, it continues the link of married women in your family. (I can’t help wondering if faux vintage counts?)


Something new – epitomises optimism and hope for your new life as a married lady (especially if it's a Vera Wang masterpiece).


Dress by Vera Wang collection

Something borrowed – this has two meanings, first it reminds you that you can depend on your family/friends to be there for you (ie: lend you things) and second, if you borrow an item from someone happily married some of their good luck is meant to rub off on you (hopefully that’s the only thing that rubs off hehe).
Vintage headpiece by Twigs and Honey, from Etsy

Something blue – blue is associated with purity in Christianity, and back in the day blue was a popular colour for wedding dresses. And, my favourite, the following quote: “Marry in blue, Lover be true”. Bear that in mind ladies.

Pic from I do inspiration blog
PS if you were wondering about the sixpence, it is also considered a good luck charm and symbol of financial security. Although, the thought of a coin in my shoe all day just freaks me out. Might give this one a skip.

No comments:

Post a Comment