Thursday 30 June 2011

Tossing the bouquet and other traditions

Right, so all of you know, I will not be having the traditional bouquet throwing for single ladies and garter throwing for single guys. I have many many reasons for this, the most important of which is that I want everything at our wedding to have some meaning. I don’t want to do anything just because it’s what everyone else does or tradition says. I appreciate it can be fun and silly, but from my own harrowing experiences, it’s just not that fun.
I remember lots of weddings as a single girl, being forced to stand up in front of everyone, like being single is some kind of affliction, and then catch the bouquet. All the time watching the boyfriends and single men look like deers in headlights lest their potential wifey catch the flowers and start demanding a diamond.
As for the garter, guys take the whole thing a lot less seriously, but really...who wants to accidentally see my underwear while I’m standing on a chair with Nic’s head up my dress. No. Just...no. Imagine I have to go commando. It doesn’t bear thinking about.
Let me know what you think.
Am I missing out on a well loved tradition? Am I an anomaly, do other girls wait in anxious anticipation for a chance at the bouquet? Do other girls want to see the single men at the wedding singled out, as it were, to catch my garter? Like a kind of female wedding crashers situation?

                                             Pic courtesy Style Me Pretty


2 comments:

  1. I think its totally fine- i never really thought about it that way :) besides, it takes about 3 seconds and no one will even miss it, i dont think :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tam, good to know I don't need to be my usual obsessive self about something so small ;) x

    ReplyDelete